Thursday, February 24, 2005

Promises, Promises...

Well, the husband has been away for exactly 19 days now...

:::sigh:::

And guess what happened last night? Yes, you guessed it, car trouble. Wouldn't you know it (again)? Nothing ever happens with the car when he's here, but darn it! It all happens while he's away!!! I think it's minor, so I will stay home as much as possible until he gets back, but I just thought I'd share.


Valentine's Day

Well, my Valentine's Day was less than spectacular, but it was ok. My sixteen-year-old daughter, Julia, did have a more exciting day, though. She got a promise ring from her boyfriend.
:::gulp:::
Yep, we are at that time in a young girl's life that most parents dread. The teenage-love years. Well, I guess I'm just going through the crap that my parents had to deal with with me, right? Boys, dates, worries and so on and so on. My parents warned me about this, but did I listen? Did I take them seriously? Of course not! Did I think that my kid was going to be different? The one who listened, the one who made all the right decisions about everything? Of course! Let me tell you something... Listen to your parents! Contrary to popular belief, they know what they are talking about!

So I'm not freaking out here or anything... I'm just hoping and praying that my daughter makes good decisions, well-thought-out decisions. I'm trying to keep the lines of communication open between us and so far so good, I think. But does anyone have any advice to share? Anyone out there saying, been there-done that? I'm accepting any and all advice offered here!

I haven't told her Dad that she got a promise ring yet. I'm trying to figure out how I'll do it. Do I just tell him all non-chalant like, or do I tell him with raised eyebrows like we should be worried about it? Shoot, maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut and let her tell him herself. Then she can deal with his reaction, which I predict won't be "overjoyed".

When I was the age Julia is right now, I was expecting her. Yes, I was pregnant. Most of you reading this blog know this, but some of you may not. So I have my reasons for taking this teenage relationship she has with her boyfriend quite seriously. Honestly, I don't think she'll make all the same decisions I made, but I fear that she may make some. Some is enough. I just want to keep her on track with school, steer her on the right path to make the very most of her life, and get her to where she ultimately wants to be. Easy enough, right?

Now, do not misunderstand me. I am not sorry at all that I gave birth to my baby at 17 years old. In fact, it's worked out ok for us. After turbulent times when my husband and I were still very young, we're still together and going stronger than ever. We've since had four more children (another daughter in 1990 and the triplets in 2003) and we are happy. I just think that we are the EXCEPTION. I don't think all relationships fare this well. And I pray that my daughters will do some living on their own before they get caught up in being a wife and/or mother.

Ok, am I bugging for nothing? Why in the heck did this kid feel the need to give my daughter a promise ring anyway? What exactly is his promise? Hmmm? Well let me put this out there:

I promise to protect my daughter.
I promise to do whatever I can to help my daughter get to college (and graduate).
I promise to not let anything/anyone stand in the way of her dreams.
I promise to support her and keep her in my house for as long as possible.
I promise to love her more than anyone else in this world will.

How do you like them promises?

No comments: