Sunday, November 28, 2010

this is what 40 looks like.


I'm 40 today.  I can't believe I just typed that.  I always felt like my 40th birthday was light-years away... like it just couldn't possibly happen yet... but it's here. 

Not too sure how I feel about it... Am I bummed out?  Not really.  It's a milestone for sure. But I'm the type of girl who's thankful for each and every year I'm given on this earth.  Although I will admit... I'm slightly obsessed with remaining wrinkle-free and... so far so good.  But the calendar doesn't lie. I'm 40.  For REAL. But I'm good with that, you know?

I'm looking forward to a special 40th birthday "celebration", courtesy of my amazing husband of 23 years (please don't do the math...). I'm not a "party" type of girl, I don't like to draw attention to myself and/or throw parties for myself; although I DO love to throw a good "kiddie" party for my kids at least once a year.  So we're going with a quieter celebration, just how I like it.  More on that when we get back... (yes, we're going out of town for this one... FUN.) But not until he gets back from his business trip.  Aaaaah, work!  Sometimes, don't you just hate it!? :)

In honor of my 40th-- my 4th decade, my 14,600 or so days on this earth... I'm taking one of those random quizzes that everyone loves.  Remember those "SLAM" books everyone used to have in Jr. High?  Wow, I AM old, huh?

Anyway, here goes... 40 questions for the 40 year old.  Happy birthday to ME!


1. What time did you get up this morning?


Every morning I wake up at the same time (on days when I'm not starting work at 2am, that is...).  I'm always up just a few minutes shy of 6am.  The triplets' alarm clock is set for 6:15am, so I like to get a few minutes on them before they start their day.


2. How do you like your steak?

Medium/Medium Rare.


3. What was the last film you saw at the theater?

Ohmygosh, I can't even remember. No doubt it was a kid's movie, most likely Disney! Hey, it's sacrifices like never going to the movies to see an adult flick that makes you a real parent, right?

4. What is your favorite TV show?

General Hospital, but GLEE runs a close second.


5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

Anywhere in the world? That would be somewhere that is no less than one hour's drive from my parents.  Now if only I could convince them to move back to California!

6. What did you have for breakfast?

Pumpkin waffles and a cup of coffee.


7. What is your favorite cuisine?

Man, I go crazy for some good Thai food.  Thing is, good Thai is hard to find.  But Mexican food is my ultimate comfort food, so they're both my faves. Oh wait, then there's Italian food.  I love me some Italian.


8. What foods do you dislike?

Zucchini.  Definitely dislike. No much more than that one. I generaly like ALL food! (Hence, my curves... )


9. Favorite place to eat?

Well, there's this small little Italian place that I absolutely love.  Sort of a mom and pop kind of vibe... and the food is just amazing.  But last night we were at Yard House for my birthday dinner with my parents.  SUCH a good meal.  So I really should mention it. ;)


10. Favorite dressing?

Blue Cheese.


11.What kind of vehicle do you drive?

Typical mom-car, an SUV.


12. What are your favorite clothes?

Anything comfy, soft, cute, and NOT black.



13. Where would you visit if you had the chance?

I'd spend an entire month in Italian countryside.



14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full?

Always 1/2 full.  I'm not a pessimist.


15. Where would you want to retire?

Somewhere I could see my children (and grandchildren if I'm lucky) every day, where I could breathe in the ocean breeze by just opening my back patio door, where the sun shines on my face each morning, and where I could eat ice cream any time of day.


16. Favorite time of day?

I'm defnitely a morning person. 


18. What is your favorite sport to watch?

Football, I suppose.



19. Bird watcher?

Ugh, no.


20. Are you a morning person or a night person?

See #16.



21. Do you have any pets?

Yes, I have a dog and I think she's the smartest dog in the universe.  Cutest, too.


22. What do you want to be (someday)?

A professional traveler and food critic.



23. What is your best childhood memory?

Me and my roller skates.



24. Are you a cat or dog person?

Cats are not for me.  I am a dog person.  Big dogs, preferably.  I don't care much for dogs who are the same size as cats.


25. Are you married?

All my life. And until Kingdom Come.


26. Always wear your seat belt?

Yes, always.

28. Any pet peeves?

Crazy-looking eyebrows, people with bad grammar, chronic tardiness, artificial suntans, writing in my checkbook register in any color other than BLACK, when people forget to wash their hands, etc. I'm sure there are more.  I'm nutty like that.

29. Favorite Pizza Toppings?

Spinach and Garlic.

30. Favorite Flower?

The orchid.



31. Favorite ice cream?

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla.


32. Favorite fast food restaurant?

Chipotle.


33. How many times did you fail your driver's test?

I never did!


34. From whom did you get your last e-mail?

From my Mama. I've been getting one at least once a day lately...


35. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card?

Toss up between Gap and J. Crew.

36. Broccoli?

Yes, please.


37. What was your favorite vacation?

Probably camping as a kid.


38. Last person you went out to dinner with?

My parents and all 5 of my daughters... just last night.  It was great!  Any other day, my answer would be, "the triplets"!  They are my constant companions!


39. How many tattoos do you have?

Just one on the back of my right thigh.


40. Coffee drinker?

I pledge allegiance to Starbucks.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Happy Late Birthday, my 40th is right around the corner too and I am having mixed emotions about it, so for now...I am ignoring it :) I just stumbled on to your blog, not sure how I got here but I see you live in SoCal, me too! I hope to your day is going well.

chksngr said...

Happy Birthday, Lady! I'd say that 40 looks AMAZING on you!!