Monday, October 25, 2004

Survivor Crop 2004

How It Went...

The Survivor Crop is a fundraiser I participated in on October 16 & 17 to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation... It was a huge 24-hour scrapbooking event, hosted by Ever After Scrapbooks in Carlsbad, CA, where scrapbookers raised money on their own, then formed groups which were called "Islands." The islands then competed against each other for various prizes throughout the event. This was my first time attending this event, and although I came up a little short on my own personal goal of $500, our island raised the most money of all the islands and received recongnition for that... Very cool...


Who was there...

Our table, Table #7, was entirely composed of people I've "met" on the unscrappble.com message boards. Although I had not met most of them (all but one) in person before the Survivor Crop, I felt like we all were friends already. We named our group the "Ta-Ta Sisterhood" and our Island Hostess did an awesome job at keeping up with the theme and putting together a great table display for us... We wore crowns and glittery beads, and definitely made our statement there at the event. I had the best time with these awesome ladies and I can't wait to get together again...


What we did...

There were product demos, (I particularly loved the generosity at the HP table), make-and-takes, a page layout contest, and lots of free time to get our own scrapbooking pages done! Yeah! I was particularly happy about the free time because it's something I don't have much of when I'm at home taking care of the kids...

We ate, drank virgin daiquiris, consumed large amounts of coffee to stay awake all night, and engaged in great converstaion between the ten or so of us... Basically, we all had a kick-ass time; getting our pages done and hanging out with cool people from our table. And I had some "me" time... Now that's something I don't say too often! The lack of sleep was a little tough on me and was really getting to me in the wee hours of the morning, but I seemed to get my second wind by mid-morning. By closing ceremonies at noon, I was pumped up and full of energy again! But alas, there was the one-hour drive home! Ugh...


In closing...

This Survivor Crop was an event that I definitely want to do again next year... It's such a worthwhile cause, and the idea is so unique! Ever After Scrapbooks has put together an awesome thing and I plan to be there year after year to support the cause! Not to mention I had a great time and loved the hours I had to dedicate to my scrapbooking! (Yes, I'm fanatic about my scrapbooking... so what???) ha ha

p.s. A great big thanks to everyone who sent in a donation to assist me with my fundraising. I appreciate it so much and it's going to do so much for so many people!

No comments: